Thursday, January 06, 2005

A Blogging we will go..... since I taught myself to type in the last few weeks (and stopped biting my fingernails-both things I've meant to do for decades and both things I'm boastfully proud of), sitting at a keyboard has become almost obsessive (the two books I've been writing for years are actually taking shape at last) and blogging, both the creating of, and the reading of are, fuck it.....trying to think of a clever word or phrase and I can't...lets, say, time consuming and fun (almost as much as my ten year old, Isabella's fixation with The Beatles-she sent Paul McCartney an email today-and Greek philosophers-true!)....hot blog for me right now (now that's almost a song..well, maybe not), apart from the likes of Dubber (whose show on George, where he plays fucked up Coltrane and the like to confused rising clubbers on a Sunday afternoon, is bloody essential) and Mr Mclennan, who finds the stuff that the rest of us need to know but just don't, is The Smacked Face, an expat Kiwi blog out of London which has reminded me of something I'd forgotten...just how much I loved London for those three short years I lived there. I've been back many times, twice with a pop star, Paul Fuemana, as his record label, which was fun...hot and cold running limos and Top of The Pops, but often couldn't get out fast enough,usually to NYC. What SF has allowed me to revisit is the joy of adventure and the sensory overload of Londontown when you live in the dirty rundown dump, the sense that you are surrounded by so much that has happened over time immemorial and is happening right now. The excitement that the Face and ID used to illustrate so well in their day and is captured by the superb, unequalled journalism of the British press on a day to day level. I used to walk the length of the Thames from Tower Bridge to Hammersmith regularly, just to revell in it, or take a map to a tube location I'd not been to, get thoroughly lost and try to find my way out... Check out the iPod piece or the killer NYE in Glasgow thingy... Fucking superb.......someone give this girl a job......

No comments: