Saturday, February 21, 2009

A ship was turning broadside to the shore / Splish splash I was raking in the cash

Brian Eno, as always, gets it in the March Mojo, when asked if musical innovation is possible now:

It’s as though the palette that musicians have available now is every style that has existed over the past 50 years or so. I mean, I even see it with my daughters. The content of their Ipods is completely, insanely, eclectic. They’ve got everything from doo-wop to hip hop and everything in-between. Which, when you think about it, it’d be as if I would have listened to music frm 1906 when I first started listening to music. It’s ridiculous! Even stuff from ten years earlier seemed hopelessly out of date then.

-------

This is still completely original behaviour but it doesn’t look original because we’re re-combining blocks that we think we recognise. But once they are recombined you hear them differently.

You can almost forgive the guy Coldplay and U2…

Now playing: Diplo

No comments: