Thursday, June 07, 2007

kiss me / you know you might miss me

And over at my website I’ve put up a singles catalogue for Trevor Reekie’s (and Sheryl Morris & Tim Moon’s) Pagan and Antenna labels up until 2000. Trevor has written the track notes and they're both witty and informative. What does immediately leap out is how much incredible music radio in NZ simply ignored over the years....why isn't Greg Johnson a superstar...it has nothing to do with what he recorded.

Trevor, to my mind, has the best set of A&R ears ever in New Zealand…his signings and discoveries, more than anyone else’s, have defined NZ Music over the past few decades…and indeed, have provided quite a bit that others take credit for.

The recent history of NZ’s popular music has been rather re-written in recent years by those who are able to. Hopefully discographies like this (and more I have to come…going back to the golden pop era of Zodiac, HMV and Impact in the sixties) will help to put the record straight.

3 comments:

Bob Daktari said...

ever checked http://www.sergent.com.au/nzmusic2.html Asylum?

Simply amazing resource and history of local music here

hours of reading to be had

Simon said...

yeah I have...I used it extensively when I did the Give It A Whirl album. It's quite incredible. I have a lot of the singles he mentions...usually from years of Auckland junk shop in the 70s and 80s. I bought hundreds of singles on Zodiac and HMV etc for cents at the time

Unknown said...

I loved that 'Jim N Joe 'A Place to Hang His Hat' single. Still got my copy. It's quite a catchy little downbeat number. They played it a lot on BfM. If it wans't the theme to th eor flatmates wanted show it should have been.

Not sure if I've still got my copy of "I Love the News' but remember the lyrics well..

['Judy bailey can't be beat/she even smiles when she is frowning']..I had a flatmate at the time who had lurid fantasies about Judy Bailey he used to regale us withl. I was shocked. Never could watch her again.

The big quesiton of course is when the gems from this era - and there's a lot on Jayrem as well - will get put onto cd?